Hello everyone, my name is Cesare Deserto and I am a journalist and radio speaker, or at least I was before that July 2021 when I decided to completely change my life and realize a dream that I had wanted for many years by leaving alone for the Way of Santiago.
931,9 km traveled on foot, alone and without a phone;
From the Pyrenees to the Atlantic Ocean in search of absolute freedom …
I gave up my job, left home, sold my car, motorcycle, clothes, watches, and most of the material things I owned, to seek the answers my life needed. Search for them through a path that is not only a physical, real, but also deeply intimate journey: the Camino de Santiago. Furthermore, I did not bring any telephone or technological tools with me but only my camera to document everything. In this trailer I will try to summarize (even if it is impossible) the many emotions experienced. I have created a “Camino de Santiago” playlist where you will find videos of all the stages faced in this spectacular experience available with subtitles of the major languages spoken in the world. Impossible to film all the emotions and special encounters that occurred. Those I tried to bring back in my book.
I left alone and arrived at my destination alone, unlike most people who have had the same experience as me. I walked every single meter, I never skipped a stop by bus or taxi, I never entrusted my backpack to the shuttles. In every kilometer there is all my sweat and my determination. If you have decided to take the Camino de Santiago or if you dream of wanting to do it sooner or later, reading my book you will discover why every year, 300,000 people from all over the world decide to tackle the most famous Way in the world. If you too, like me, have always dreamed of giving up everything, aware that the life you lead is not the one you dreamed of as a boy, perhaps my experience could give you the courage that I lacked for 36 years …
Inside the book you will discover:
• the history of the journey (historical notes, symbols and legends) and symbolic places;
• suitable clothing and shoes, which backpack to buy and above all what to put inside;
• duration and distance of the journey, how many days it takes to complete it and where to start based on the days available;
• how to train before leaving and the necessary physical preparation;
• how much it costs to walk the path, where to eat and sleep along the path;
• whether walking the path alone can be dangerous for a woman and whether there is a possibility of getting lost;
• the answer to many questions and concerns (which were also mine) posed by many aspiring pilgrims and my personal blog where you can contact me to dispel all your doubts / hesitations;
• finally, I will tell you why a journalist and radio host gave up his whole life of comfort and materiality, to travel more than 900 km on foot from the Pyrenees to the Atlantic Ocean, alone and without a telephone, sleeping over that in the various hostels also on the street, in a stable, in a tent, in an abandoned monastery and living two days in a hippie community.
…. “I gave up everything, I left home, sold my car, motorcycle, clothes, my Rolex and most of the material things I owned to follow that almost nagging, suffocating, undeterred feeling that once known does not make you find peace: SANTIAGO, the Camino de Santiago. My life needed answers that only a journey in complete solitude could give me “….
Book available in Spanish and Italian version.